Riverview Community School District
The Board of Education recognizes that certain programs and activities can be enhanced through the use of volunteers who have particular knowledge or skills that will be helpful to members of the support staff responsible for the conduct of those programs and activities.
Any person who volunteers to work with the district or who works with or has access to students shall be screened annually through the Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT), prior to being allowed to participate in any activity or program.
The following pertains to all volunteers:
- Volunteers shall abide by all Board Policies, Administrative Guidelines, and District Guidelines while on duty as a volunteer including signing, if appropriate, the District’s Network and Internet Access Agreement Forms.
- Volunteers will be covered under the districts liability policy, but the District cannot provide any type of health insurance to cover illness or accident incurred while serving as a volunteer, nor is the volunteer eligible for workers compensation.
- Volunteers understand that they are releasing the District of any obligation should the volunteer become ill or receive an injury as a result of his/her volunteer services.
The Board and Administration appreciate the time and efforts in assisting with programs and activities.
How to Volunteer:
- Completely fill out the Background Check form.
- The building principal will notify you if you are not approved.
- Background checks from the previous school year are good through September 30.
- Volunteers are required to sign in at the office, each time they enter or leave the building.
- Volunteers are asked to wear a Visitor Badge, which they will receive when they sign in at the office.
- As a volunteer you may be exposed to confidential information related to students and others in the school. It is expected that you respect and maintain confidentiality!
- You will not be asked to work with students’ records or to post grades in grade books.
- If you are not sure about something or have any questions or concerns, please address them with the school’s principal.
- Remain in an open, public location when working with individual students.
- Inappropriate contact with any child/student before, during or after a school-related activity, event etc., is unacceptable and will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
- Volunteers are required to dress and act appropriately.
- Smoking and vaping are prohibited on all school property.
- Do not look in closets, cabinets, or a teacher’s desk unless asked to do so by a staff member.
- Please follow the guidance of the school staff.
- Please park in appropriate spaces.
- Disciplining students is the responsibility of the school staff. Please ask for assistance if needed.
- Notify staff when a student is injured or ill and allow the staff to handle the situation.
- Volunteers are required to participate in all drills.
- Staff break rooms are for the staff use only.
- Stay with their assigned group or students throughout the entire trip.
- Follow the designated/assigned schedule.
- Follow the field trip plan as developed by the teacher.
- Follow the driving directions as developed by the teacher.
- No unscheduled stops for food, shopping, etc.
- No smoking or vaping at any time during the field trip, this includes the car (if driving other students).
- Please do not accept or make any cellular phone calls.
- Please do not give students extra food treats and/or money to spend.
- If parents are assigned as chaperons, they may not bring other family members along.